Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I thought yes man was awesome

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

I thought yes man was awesome Empty
PostSubject: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 am

I can't believe reviewers were stupid enough to say this film was similar to his other work.

It kinda annoys me mainly because I think carrey is awesome and should be making more films and seriously how awesome was this scene:
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:46 am

The concept is very similar to Liar Liar.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Star wars and lord of the rings sound almost identical on paper, yet they are hardly the same film.

That sounds like the view of someone who hasn't seen the film properly.
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Star wars and lord of the rings sound almost identical on paper, yet they are hardly the same film.

Star Wars is futuristic and Lord of the Rings is mid-evil. Already they are nothing alike in that sense. Star Wars has nothing to do with destroying a ring and Lord of the Rings has nothing to do with Jedi and Sith or anything similar. And no, wizards aren't nearly the same. I do realize that Yes Man and Liar Liar aren't the same thing, but the concept of his mannerisms being forced a certain way are shared.

I'm not criticizing it, though.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:58 am

Zero wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

Star Wars is futuristic and Lord of the Rings is mid-evil. Already they are nothing alike in that sense. Star Wars has nothing to do with destroying a ring and Lord of the Rings has nothing to do with Jedi and Sith or anything similar. And no, wizards aren't nearly the same. I do realize that Yes Man and Liar Liar aren't the same thing, but the concept of his mannerisms being forced a certain way are shared.

I'm not criticizing it, though.
Siths are Dark lords...

The force is pretty much the draw of the ring. They also stat ei have a bad feeling about this throughout just like in LOTR, the number of similarities is actually ridiculous. Obi wan is gandalf.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 am

The difference being though is that I enjoy watching the LotR movies and cna't really sit through Star Wars. The Phantom Menace was the only one I saw all the way through but I've seen so many paradies of Star Wars that I could basically tell you the plot of the series anyway.

But for realz, intertextualilty is in everything and there is no such thing as originality anymore.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:06 am

Marky Mark wrote:
The difference being though is that I enjoy watching the LotR movies and cna't really sit through Star Wars. The Phantom Menace was the only one I saw all the way through but I've seen so many paradies of Star Wars that I could basically tell you the plot of the series anyway.

But for realz, intertextualilty is in everything and there is no such thing as originality anymore.
Yet one of the greatest comedians of our times got his career raped by people acting like there is.

I mean random shit seems to be praised for some absolute bollocks reasons.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 am

Marky Mark wrote:

You really should watch the Original Trilogy. Watching a Star Wars prequel(the worst one at that) isn't a good way to get into the series. Whether you ultimately love it or hate it, watching the original three movies is like mandatory. No one can live without seeing them(unless they wanna burn in hell).

Superbuu3 wrote:

Siths are Dark lords...

That's like saying Voldemort is a Sith just because he's also a "Dark Lord". Actually, a Sith Voldemort would be pretty fucking badass. But seriously, being some dark, evil being is just an archetype used in stories like these. What fantasy series doesn't have a "dark lord" of some kind?

Quote :
The force is pretty much the draw of the ring. They also stat ei have a bad feeling about this throughout just like in LOTR, the number of similarities is actually ridiculous.

The Force is nothing like the power of the ring.

It's more akin to Chi/Ki in the Star Wars universe, mastered by Jedi who are basically monks.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:21 am

I honestly don't watch star wars enough to care to think about that, but a lot of people i know who are fans of both seem to agree Lucas borrowed heavily from LOTR, and HP does also borrow heavily from LOTR. In fact lots of things do as it pretty much created all the stereotypes and all that elven crap we see in everything else.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 am

Actually, SW was inspired more by old Sci-fi serials and Eastern films than LOTR(although I wouldn't doubt there were some inspirations from that also, but they don't seem that noticeable).

And I wouldn't give LOTR that much credit. Honestly, it's an old story, but I highly doubt it created the archetype of "dark lords". That crap has been in tales of old, long before Tolkien's work came around. And I doubt he created the "wise old mentor" archetype either. If anything, Obi-Wan's probably more inspired by Merlin or something than fucking Gandalf(who was most likely also inspired by Merlin).

The LOTR universe really only set the bar for middle age-esque fantasy work(and even then I'm not even sure if most of what is in those stories is actually the first of their kind).

Last edited by SOK on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 am

SOK wrote:
Actually, SW was inspired more by old Sci-fi serials and Eastern films than TLOR(although I wouldn't doubt there were some inspirations from that also, but they don't seem that noticeable).

And I wouldn't give TLOR that much credit. Honestly, it's an old story, but I highly doubt it created the archetype of "dark lords". That crap has been in tales of old, long before Tolkien's work came around. And I doubt he created the "wise old mentor" archetype either. If anything, Obi-Wan's probably more inspired by Merlin or something than fucking Gandalf(who was most likely also inspired by Merlin).

TLOR universe really only set the bar for middle age-esque fantasy work(and even then I'm not even sure if most of what is in those stories is actually the first of their kind).
Thing is even if it was in other stuff before the fact the LOTR is so big meant more people read it. Nothing has to actually be original to inspire work in others. That goes for the whole dark lord thing and the whole middle earth thing to.

I never considered the merlin thing before and that actually raises a good point.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:39 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
SOK wrote:
Actually, SW was inspired more by old Sci-fi serials and Eastern films than TLOR(although I wouldn't doubt there were some inspirations from that also, but they don't seem that noticeable).

And I wouldn't give TLOR that much credit. Honestly, it's an old story, but I highly doubt it created the archetype of "dark lords". That crap has been in tales of old, long before Tolkien's work came around. And I doubt he created the "wise old mentor" archetype either. If anything, Obi-Wan's probably more inspired by Merlin or something than fucking Gandalf(who was most likely also inspired by Merlin).

TLOR universe really only set the bar for middle age-esque fantasy work(and even then I'm not even sure if most of what is in those stories is actually the first of their kind).
Thing is even if it was in other stuff before the fact the LOTR is so big meant more people read it. Nothing has to actually be original to inspire work in others. That goes for the whole dark lord thing and the whole middle earth thing to.

Even so, something like a "dark lord" is a pretty standard thing. Regardless of LOTR's popularity, I doubt that's what inspired modern works to have something as basic and generic as "dark lords".
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:41 am

SOK wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
SOK wrote:

Even so, something like a "dark lord" is a pretty standard thing. Regardless of LOTR's popularity, I doubt that's what inspired modern works to have something as basic and generic as "dark lords".
Pre star wars how many other dark lords can you name?
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 am

Are you really going to look to me as an informative on the existance of old age fictional dark lords?

I'd look to the more literary lover Kima for a solid list.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 am

SOK wrote:
Are you really going to look to me as an informative on the existance of old age fictional dark lords?

Na i weren't looking for a list i was more just saying its hard in this medias age to really identify dark lords outside of mainstream things.

I wouldn't be suprised if people looked at Tolkien as the archetype they used. Hell when you study literature always the same names pop up that people look for even when things have been done better more recently, just because someone was more credible at there time.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
SOK wrote:

Na i weren't looking for a list i was more just saying its hard in this medias age to really identify dark lords outside of mainstream things.

I wouldn't be suprised if people looked at Tolkien as the archetype they used. Hell when you study literature always the same names pop up that people look for even when things have been done better more recently, just because someone was more credible at there time.

I wouldn't doubt that Tolkien's work has been a major inspiration for other people's work, to deny that would be ridiculous considering how much of an impact his stories are. But the trope "dark lord" really isn't something that he himself established, popularized or anything. Beings like evil warlocks, demons, things that are evil incarnate were always around before someone like Sauron was produced and were surely well known in some form. I'd say Satan himself would inspire more dark lords than a LOTR character.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I thought yes man was awesome   I thought yes man was awesome Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I thought yes man was awesome
Page 1 of 1