Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Empty
PostSubject: Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend   Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 am

Okay, so I enjoyed this game.

The gameplay was intuitive and actually a bit fun despite being a Hack N' Slash/RTS/Driving Game. You control the side of Eddie Riggs (Story mode) and you have several units to choose from.

-Headbangers: Your basic units, quick and attack at a reasonable speed with reasonable damage.
-Razor Girls: Your long range fighters, they do decent damage and are move across the field at a reasonable speed.
-Bouncers: Your heavy attackers who move slow but do above-average damage.
-Roadie: Your stealth units that can take down buildings and heavy weaponry in a matter of seconds, not recommended for regular battle.
-Headsplitter: Your heavy vehicle, basically this thing is slow but does a lot of damage.
-Metal Beast: Basically the thing that will destroy the opponents melee force.
-Thunderhog: Support Vehicles, these are generally around just to run some people over and help Eddie stun the enemies.
-Fire Barons: Fast vehicles and melee killers.

The thing I love about the actual gameplay is that you can join the fray and attack with your own special stuff. You can summon the Deuce and kick some ass with it, melt peoples faces off, or even summon the wildlife, you also get character specific teammates and you get a double-team attack with everyone. Although the gameplay does have some kinks, first of all the fucking absence of a jump button, why could we have just gotten rid of the guard button? Nobody's gonna use it. Why is it when I force the enmy leader into retreating I get nothing for it? Some extra fans would be nice for nearly killing myself. The enemy seems to get massive hordes out of nowhere, I understand that the enemy always has ridiculous odds stacked against you but within five minutes into one fight I saw about 25 of the enemies basic units swarming one of my Merch Booths. And why don't some of the side missions pay more? I highly doubt the metal gods wouldn't praise me more for taking down an entire army than just beating some guy in a race.

The music and voice-acting is great though. Jack Black obviously voices a thinly disguised version of himself, but then there's also the great Tim Curry who voices the Big Bad, Emperor Doviculus, Ozzy voices the Guardian of Metal and you can tell it's him because he not only looks exactly like Ozzy but fucking acts just like him too, General Lionwhyte is voiced by Judas Priest's Rob Halford along with the Head Fire Baron who is designed after Halford in his younger years, Kyle Gass voices... well a bouncer that has his head, Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister voices (Get ready for it) The Killmaster, and many more. And the soundtrack consists of 107 different metal tracks from 75 different bands... YES, 107. That's a lot of music to fucking love.

The graphics are great but that's not what gets me about the visuals, what gets me is the architecture of the world. There is so much metal lore combined with norse lore scattered across the landscape and it is beautifully detailed. From Mount Rockmore to the Dry Ice Caverns, every world has fantastic detail. Some of the designs for the characters are great but the unit designs seem to be lacking the same substance.

The story is... well, schizophrenic. The story was pretty good for the first half of the game, what with the up and coming rebellion having to amass an entire army to defeat General Lionwhyte and he had some pretty fucking good build-up. But right after you kill him the story suddenly gets wacky, all of a sudden the development for the next two bosses is pretty much thin, the second boss kind of comes out of the blue, and Doviculus... well the most he gets is some mentions and he kills one of your group, so yeah. It also doesn't help that the last boss is a giant clusterfuck of things to do and it gets really annoying.

Overall though, I enjoyed the game a lot.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend   Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 am

Oh and another thing I liked was how when you're doing stage battles that the pre-set songs will change depending on who's winning.

For instance in the last stage battle with Lionwhyte.

Lionwhyte's Side = Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue
Eddie's Side = Queen of the Masquerade by Crimson Glory
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend   Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Cool Nice
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend   Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 11:14 pm

sounds good
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend   Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baal's thoughts on Brutal Legend
Page 1 of 1